I will help you make your design portfolio the best in the pile
Hi, I’m Esmond and I’ve been developing my design career into something great for over a decade.
I know what it takes to get a design job in this competitive market, and I’ve dealt with my fair share of doubters too. When I first started studying visual arts and graphic design at Liverpool John Moores University, friends and family weren’t convinced that there was any money in design.
I persevered though and have designed for major brands such as Odeon, Krispy Kreme, Shop Direct, and Very.co.uk, Frankie and Benny’s since I was 22. By 28, I was being asked to do freelance work for Playstation, Warner Bros, Namco and Capcom .
There’s definitely money in design and an amazing career to be had, you just need the motivation and the right tools to make it happen. It’s not all about having the best looking portfolio, though that is important, it’s about your attitude and ability to take criticism in a positive light. Designers are creatives, but they need to know how to market themselves too.
I can help graduate and aspiring designers like you land your first design job, or move up the career ladder and reach bigger and bigger goals.
Task 1 – I will help you make your design portfolio the best in the pile. This Task includes
- Portfolio Analysis – I’ll do a thorough analysis on your portfolio and give you notes on what’s good or not so good.
- Advice on how to improve your Portfolio – I will give you guidance on what items you should also include and what to take out or do more of.
- Critiques and pointers – I’ll give you real, honest feedback that will help you stand out.
Task 2 – I will show you how to land your dream design job. This Task includes
- Portfolio analysis as in Task 1 plus..
- Guidance on how to approach the right types of companies and agencies – not all comapnies looking for designers will be suitable for you and you might not be suitabe for them, I’ll give you guidance on what type of companies will suit your skills set and ambitions.
- How to produce a designer’s CV and cover letter – The CV and cover letter might sounds like a run of the mill type of thing but there are a lot of things you need to know about how to match your CV and cover letter with your portfolio to make you stand out.
- Who’s hiring and how you can become their perfect fit – what’s out there in the job market and how you can make yourself and your portfolio fit what they are looking for.
- Where to look for the job that will suit you and your skills – what websites, what groups to join, where events to go to, these are the things you need to know to get ahead of the hundred of other designers out there looking for the same jobs as you are
- How to make contacts and make them work for you – as the cliche goes “It’s not what you know it’s who you know”, such a cheesy saying but still very true. I’ll show you how to get connected with the right types of people that will land you your first job.